Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Elk In Baldwin City

The bull elk usually snorts and moves away when I run by.
We moved to Baldwin City, KS from Flagstaff, AZ in 2005. One of the many things I miss is seeing elk everyday in our yard. We lived by forest service and the big bulls and cows felt entitled to stroll across our property stripping the fruit trees and drinking from the bird baths.

One afternoon I went out for a long run and thought about how much I missed them. As I ran past a thick stand of trees, I saw a large pen and to my great surprise a small group of elk were standing in it!

These elk are much smaller than the wild ones and the cows, especially, seem to have much less muscle mass in their chests.

I took this shot yesterday with my phone and wished I had my camera since they rarely stand by the fence.